Habits are nothing more than behavioral patterns that have been deeply wired into the brains by repetition. Someone said, “A habit cannot be tossed out the window; it must be coaxed down the stairs a step at a time”. Therefore, breaking habits is simply the breaking of patterns by gradual replacement with another pattern. Here are some ideas to help you on your journey to freedom:
- Get support: It is much easier to break habits when a friend is helping you out. Get someone reliable to call when you are down. It helps when you ask for the help of someone who is trustworthy. More on this point in subsequent posts.
- Reward yourself: Reward the small progress you make towards breaking your habits. The idea is for you to inspire yourself to keep making progress until you permanently break your habits.
- Make a new habit: To effectively break a habit, you have to replace it with a new beneficial one. So, pick a new habit you will engage in replacement of the undesirable one.
- One habit at a time: There is power in focus. Do not attempt to break all of your habits at once. You will have better results by focusing your energy on breaking just one habit at a time.
- Record your progress: For you to be motivated on your quest, you have to be able to measure your progress. Doing anything without measuring progress is like playing soccer without goal posts. It is frustrating. I recommend plotting your weekly progress.
- Understand the triggers: The triggers are the cues. They can be series of events, places, people, situations, feelings etc. Understand them and make plans for them.
- Tend to your environment: Some environments assist you in breaking your habits while others bring you down. Be intentional about your immediate surroundings.
You can help me serve you better by leaving your thoughts in the comments below. Good luck!